Tuesday 15 October 2013

OUGD502 - PPP2: Preparation For John's Session

10 things I want to learn this year

1. I would like to make more time for other interests such as my interest in Philosophy and Ethics, as this is something I really enjoyed when I was studying at A Level.

2. I would also like to make sure I am constantly in contact with studios. This is something I have already starting doing, so I just need to make sure I keep it up.

3. The ethics behind graphic design in more depth. I have already bough a book and read it over Summer, but I feel as though it is important to be aware of the laws behind graphic design.

4. Learning how much time to spent on a brief when working for a client alongside university work. This is something I have been trying to do over the past couple of weeks and feel as though my time management in this area could be improved.

5. I would like to get involved in more extra curricular activities, having recently been appointed the role of student ambassador I feel as though the more I do, the better, as it will help me when I graduate. Not only will it look good on my CV but it will also give me more confidence and experience.

6. I would love to become more confident using all of the Adobe software. I still feel as though there is a lot more for me to learn. This will help me strengthen my work as well.  

7. Packaging is something I am currently very passionate about. I have already started looking at the ethical side of packaging but I feel as though I would benefit a lot from a studio visit or placement. 

8. I would also love to become more aware and more skilled with using the correct software where packaging is concerned. This is something I have already talked about on my blog so I most certainly need to carry out some research in this area.

9. Embossing, binding, screen printing and all of the other processes are things I would love to become more confident with applying to my work.

10. I need to refresh my knowledge on the colour theory as I feel as though this is something that I will constantly need to refer back to. I could do with purchasing pantones as well for the future, when I graduate and go on to do more free lance work along side employment.

Review what I said last year
  • Improve and learn Adobe programs
I have definitely improved my skills with all of the Adobe programs. I could only really use Photoshop fairly confidently prior to starting university. I feel as though over the past year I have successfully applied what I have learnt to all of my work. 
  • How to use correct colours
I feel as though I could have explored further with colour, I did do at the start of the year with my postcard designs, but could have experimented further within my development, even if my final outcome was limited with use of colour.
  • Improve upon web design
I haven't yet studied web design at university, however I have had work experience over Summer which was solely web design. I feel as though this, as well as being in contact with a web design studio in Leeds, with prior experience before university, has enabled me to learn a lot within this area of graphic design, as well as the real world and industry.
  • How to become a professional graphic designer
I feel as though I have most certainly gained knowledge about how to be a graphic designer. Over the Summer I was fortunate enough to get some freelance work, working for two hairdressing salons, as well as two weeks work experience. Working with a large team and making compromises I have learnt a lot about what it will be like when I graduate. I was also fortunate enough to be asked to return in any holiday periods and at the end of my degree.
  • Accept that making mistakes is worthwhile
I think at foundation level I learnt a lot about making mistakes. We were taught to develop our work as much as possible and not be worried about the outcome, because it is all a learning curve. Last year just emphasised this for me.
  • Confidently present my work to others
Having to present my work to the rest of the year has enabled me to grow in confidence. I am happy with the progress I made throughout the year.
  • Drawing ability
I have most certainly applied my drawing skills to most of my work throughout the first year. I feel as though I have grown in confidence as well where my drawing ability is concerned. I would love to improve even further by using my bamboo tablet and inkling.
  • Understanding of typography
My understanding of typography has considerably grown. I feel much more confident applying different fonts to my work, knowing when to use sans serif and serif fonts.
  • Writing at degree level
I demonstrated my writing ability at degree level last year when we had to write our 3000 word essay. I achieved a high grade which I was extremely happy with and hope to continue at this level over the forthcoming years.


No comments:

Post a Comment