Monday 28 October 2013

OUGD502 - PPP2: Session 1 Task

Who am I now and what do I feel I have achieved as a Graphic Designer for far?

1. Reflecting on your Summer what is your most memorable event and why?

Reflecting on my Summer, the most memorable event was probably when I heard back from a studio after having put such a conscious effort in to try and get as much work experience as I could. Hearing back from the studio was so exciting and I remember feeling enthusiastic and couldn't wait to get started. 

Having had some work experience prior to starting at Leeds College of Art, I feel as though this alongside my art foundation degree helped me immensely to grow in confidence as well as know how to approach professionals. I feel as though this year we will be given even more guidance in this area, and I am looking forward to improving the way in which I approach studios to try and achieve my dreams essentially as a graphic designer.

2. Have you made any contacts over the Summer that you feel could be helpful over the coming year or so and what outcomes did you feel you achieved?

I managed to make a lot of contacts over the Summer. I made it my goal to try and contact as many studios as possible nearby to me in the Liverpool/Lancashire area and hope that at least one studio would respond to me in time. 

I started off this process by first of all researching in to different studios in Liverpool, as well as more rural areas surrounding where I live. I contacted a graphic designer situated at Cedar Farm Gallery, but unfortunately he worked from home a lot and as a result he was unable to allow me to sit in his studio and get a feel for his work and work ethic. The smaller studios I contacted in Liverpool turned out to be too small to have me there, and they actually didn't sound well suited to me when I spoke to the creative director's on the phone. I therefore decided that it wasn't meant to be at this stage and felt quite deflated. However it didn't stop me from trying still and I continued to try. 

In the meantime, whilst I was searching for some work experience, I managed to get some freelance work for a hairdressers in Liverpool. This involved designing all of their promotional materials as well as re branding their business in some respects, choosing a new typeface for them to apply to their work, as well as illustrations. I was so pleased to have been asked to do this work and started to feel much more positive again about my situation.

A couple of days later I received a phone call from an agency in Liverpool asking me if I would be interested in working there for a couple of weeks. I couldn't believe it and was so excited to start. After this phone call I was then asked by my own hairdresser to design appointment cards for their salon, and I was also asked to design my friend's wedding invitations and save the date cards.

Typically, everything came at once which kept me really busy over Summer and allowed me to learn so much and gain so much knowledge. Through doing my free lance work I was able to build more connections, gain a certain understanding for the client's needs, understand how to manage my time and perhaps not spend too much time on a piece of work, and also gauge how much to charge as a free lance (undergraduate) designer.

I learnt an awful lot about web design during my work experience, and was involved in a lot of pitches which was an eye opener for me. My art work was used a lot for their materials as well as presentations to other companies, and I was in contact with the creative director as well as the design team. I also had the chance to see what it is like working with a large team in an extensive studio. 

I feel as though I achieved so much over my Summer holidays and I am really pleased with the progress I made. When I had finished my two weeks at the studio I was asked to go back during any of my holidays to work there and gain more experience, and was told that they would be interested once I graduate to see where I am up to, and if I decide digital is for me, then I can always go back. This was so encouraging to hear and I was delighted with the outcome of my two weeks placement, especially in first year.

Since coming back to University I have become an ambassador which allowed me to participate in a meeting concerning the design of the new Leeds College of Art website. Through this I have gained a contact whom I am currently emailing about placement as well as any advice he has on web design.

3. How did you meet/contact these contacts (methods or how it happened)

Hairdressers in Liverpool - I was in touch with a girl I used to work with before University, who is now a marketing manager and was looking for a graphic designer. Therefore I saw that she needed help and offered to help straight away, resulting in meeting up with her in Liverpool the following day to discuss work.

My hairdresser - By simply offering to help in the salon I was given the opportunity to design the appointment cards, and have also been asked to help to design a website for them when I feel as though I am confident enough.

Wedding invitations - Via a friend and a discussion over dinner one night we came to the conclusion that I would start working on them when I get back to uni (currently) and email back and forth with design ideas until they are happy.

Studio in Liverpool - Through one friend and an ex colleague I was able to get work placement in Liverpool. This was the most amazing thing to happen to me all Summer.

4. If you didn't make any contacts, why? too busy working? holiday?

I made plenty of contacts over Summer alongside completing my Summer Brief and any free lance work. I left it too late to get a job but was happy to be free when I was offered work placement, making my Summer extremely worthwhile.

5. What methods of creating contacts can you think of and what would you ask?

I am going to continue to email over the forthcoming year, but I am also going to write to one of my favourite graphic designers who currently lives in France, however spends a lot of time in Bali. I absolutely love his work and have spoken to him briefly on Instagram but I think it is time that I contacted him properly and make something happen. I am also really interested in looking at studios abroad, perhaps in Vancouver, as this is something I spent my time researching over Summer and ended up finding a variety that I absolutely love. This all depends on my situation when I graduate however, but there is no harm in contacting them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment