Friday 1 November 2013

OUGD502 - PPP2: John's Freelance Talk

This afternoon John stayed to do another talk for the third years mainly, however the second years were invited to join too. The talk was on freelance work and general advice, so I thought it would be worthwhile for me to go, especially as I could have done with knowing more about it over Summer. I wrote down a few of the key points he made during this talk:

  • Get your business ducks in a row - make sure that everything is stated before starting the work
  • Discuss requirements and deadlines
  • Quotations are legally binding whereas an estimate is not
  • Type an estimate including the requirements as well as any additional costs, for example travel expense
  • Send estimate under the terms
  • Always let them know by email and let them know if there are any further changes
  • Invoices need to include a break down of you work
  • Send it to the accounts department and send an email
  • Itemise all work
  • Terms and conditions need to be on the invoice as well as on the estimate
  • Payment by bank transfer only
I found this really useful and have decided to copy the slides on to this post so that I have a constant reference in the future which I refer back to whenever I need to.




































No comments:

Post a Comment