Saturday 9 November 2013

OUGD502 - PPP2: Networking and Contacting Professionals

This morning we had a introductory chat with John about networking mainly. I wrote down a couple of key notes which I feel will be important to me now and in the future.
  • Sort LinkedIn account this weekend
  • Get to know people now
  • Main thing that companies look for now is people who love what they are doing
  • What makes you you? Include this on your CV and explain who you are to make you stand out from the rest
  • Hand written letters are probably the most appropriate form of communication as they attract people's attention

We then had a talk about contacting professionals. I also wrote down a few of the main key points that I picked up on during this session.

  • Build a dialogue with these people, it isn't about having a degree it is about who you are and what you have to offer
  • Treat contacting professionals like having a brief to complete
  • Always have the correct questions to ask people (have them ready in your mind)
  • Email, Twitter, post, other?
  • Consider why you are asking the questions? A visit would be good? Think about Skype and FaceTime (during one of the chats I had with John he mentioned that he was hoping to get us involved in more opportunities where we could speak to professionals via skype in one of the studios, I think this would be extremely beneficial to us!)
  • Think off the wall to stand out
  • Don't just be a person with a degree and no experience
  • Do not ask for a placement
  • The advice you get from people you will know forever and you can then keep in touch with these people
  • What will they want to know about you? What kind of creative are you? What kind of work do you see as synergetic to you?
  • Invite people to college
  • What can you show them? Take work with you
  • Don't worry about having a portfolio at this stage
  • What should you aim to take away from a meeting? Experience and practice run, an insight in to how a professional studio operates

VISIT LOGO DESIGN LOVE WEBSITE


CV
  • What is a creative CV?
  • It's all about you and what is great about you up to now. A shop window in essence
  • Package my CV
  • It is not just a CV but is a reference they may keep on file if it is good enough
Below are some of the examples which John showed us during his presentation. The ones that caught my attention the most are the first two, as I feel they relate closely to me and my practice. I would love to create a CV which could be sent out to studios specifically in the format of packaging. I think this would certainly capture someone's attention more than a 2D CV printed out. I could create it so that it would be easy for me to reproduce at a low cost, and as sustainable as possible. This is something I am going to start thinking about as an extra project on the side. I am going to start a new post on PPP to illustrate any relevant and inspiring research I find which will help me to create my own unique CV.




In the afternoon we had another session with John where he showed us a variety of different videos. We spent most of the time watching a Snask video, this was bizarre and certainly unique. They are a very successful studio though and are very clever to have done as well as they have done. Some of the key things I noted down when watching the video are as follows:

  • Say yes to everything
  • If you believe in yourself you can do anything

The Lille 2012 video also inspired me to create whatever I like and think big. It also made me think about my current design for print brief, and has made me consider how I could think even bigger and propose a seeded box as opposed to a box which would just have seeds attached to it. This is something I don't think I could physically make so I am going to propose how it could be produced commercially for the use of a large population.

John also mentioned how a lot of the third years now are currently revisited old briefs they completed in first and second year and redesigning them to see what they can come up with and how they can improve upon their original idea. I thought that I would love to do this with my Pooch Pouch Brief which I completed last year. This is something I could consider doing this year or next.

Below are some of the videos John told us to have a look at, some of which we watched during the presentation. I thought it would be worthwhile posting them on my blog so that I can always have them here to refer back to in the future.






   

   

   











Networking as a tool for Creatives


Establishing a personal practice as a Graphic Designer, starts early. Mid way through ones degree or College course we identify (hopefully) the most attractive direction that our practice
can offer us as an individual.

However throughout ones development, we meet many people from not only our own sphere
of work, but from many others. Photographers, film producers or creatives from many other
disciplines. This adds to the experiences that can interplay within your own professional framework. As a student, we do this automatically within the College, course and year groups as a day to day thing. Therefore we slip into the networking mode virtually automatically through ‘crits’ and by collaborative tasks.

Near to, or after graduating, we come away from College with a degree (hopefully) which illustrates/indicates to our profession and others that we have achieved a certain level of skill, and an academic understanding of our industry and other areas that we may have contact with, now or in the future.

It would be amazing if that was the ‘magic ticket’ to a long and lucrative career within the business...sadly not true. This is merely a springboard that has lifted your foot onto the initial rung of our live’s/career’s ladder.

We can survive in a bubble now we have the technology, sitting alone in a room somewhere
completing and distributing work to whomever and wherever. Becoming a ‘creative hermit’ has a few downsides however. No one being aware of your existence, your ability, your brilliance. Remember there are over 7 billion of us clinging to our planet.

Networking in all of it’s forms will introduce and engage you within the wider areas of our
profession, gain you friends (some that can last a lifetime) colleagues and even clients from near and far (sounds a bit like either a fairy story or a recruitment ad?).


How can we effectively network with others?

We can establish a network in quite a few ways, and I will identify a few, but you will
more than likely add a few more yourself.

1.JOIN PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS allied to your discipline. ie the
Graphic Artists Guild, AIGA and many others.

2.Specific NETWORKING SITES where one can upload a portfolio and
obtain feedback from fellow professionals such ad Behance, Cargo,
Coroflot and many others.

3.Join CREATIVE CIRCLES and become active amongst your peers.

4.ATTEND CONFERENCES and symposiums to meet others that may be
attending or presenting there, this is a ricky one if one is of a reserved
disposition (shy).
But, remember the phrase I always use as a displaced ‘Geordie’
Shy bairns get nowt!’

  1. TRAVEL, work abroad or work with other designers/studios outside the UK. This is something I made a specific point of within my own career. It ‘globalizes’ your network and is so much easier today with the internet.

  1. BLOG AND FOLLOW BLOGS. You can amaze yourself when someone from thousands of miles away comments on your work, thoughts and ideas. Check who is following you and why.

7.VISIT other creatives and socialize. ‘Most’ are more than pleased to meet
other creatives. Establish a dialogue and it can go on for many years
if you maintain the contact (not as a stalker though!).

THERE IS NO ONE ON THE PLANET YOU CAN NOT CONTACT!

When I say that of course I mean there is no one in the world you can not attempt to contact.
However, have a reason to contact them.Even if it is simply to say WOW. Years ago, I had always enjoyed the work of Milton Glaser in New York (I LOVE NY) and took a punt and
contacted him simply to say how over the years I really enjoyed his work. I still email and get
replies today...he and I are getting long in the tooth, but both enjoy creative work.
Do not wait...start today...but have a reason and identify why you want to talk.


Networking has been around since the beginning of the artist/creative days. The PreRaphaelites, the Impressionists all networked and discussed their work...I am not suggesting you drink, fight and cut your own ears off, but networking is a helpful and rewarding
pursuit.

Some of my own tips for networking to expand your own network.

1.When you do contact/ meet other creatives you have identified as having some
synergy with you and your practice, ask who else they would suggest you talk
to/follow.

Keep in touch on a regular basis (even if it is a postcard from your vacation), pass on other creative practices projects you have seen, they may appreciate it as much as you do.

This is a simple diagram of how it should work.



Why would anyone want to let me into their network
or interested at all?

Initially as a new Graduate or a final year student, you are ‘new blood’ and fresh. You have had a number of years where you have been encouraged to look at the profession in a new
light and can bring fresh thinking and ‘untainted’ views.

When wanting to make contacts and seeking advice, you should understand that professionals
will want to give advice...it’s really nice to be asked and to be seen as an ‘expert’
This may sound like ‘schmoozing’ (look it up) or ego tripping, but what the heck, if it works,
use it.

Remember, recently it has been reported that networking has achieved between 60-80%
of potential job offers?

Networking can induct you into important information ‘loops’ and make you aware of opportunities and projects that a ‘creative hermit’ may miss out on.

For those who have seen the movie ‘Meet the Fokkers’ you are inside the circle of friends.


The ‘FOKKER’ effect

This you may think is common sense. It actually is. BUT it is surprising how effective it can be
to network. The biggest reason people do not network is poor time management (but that is another story). Not being bothered to take or make time is something we really should address, it is so easy to say ‘I’m too busy’...or ‘I haven’t has a spare minute’

Think about that next time you miss out on something you really wanted to be part of...a few
minutes every week can be advantageous. Like Facebook and Tweeting.

There are over 7 Billion people on our planet...why not speak to a few?





 

No comments:

Post a Comment