Tuesday 15 April 2014

OUGD502 - PPP2: Studio Brief 2: A Design Presence (Primary Research)

Two years ago, before I had started at LCA, I came to Leeds to go to the end of year show. I found the Fashion exhibition and obviously the Graphic Design exhibition the most exciting and so I collected as many business cards as I could while I was there for inspiration in the future. And now it is the future! So I have been able to dig out all of these examples and use them for primary research. Below I have chosen to blog about a select few which I found the most inspirational. 

I like the unusual shape used here, as it makes the person memorable. However I don't think I am going to design something with an obscure shape, as they wouldn't fit in someone's wallet or purse very easily and could prove to be slightly awkward. One element about this design which I do like is how it is black and white. I think this in itself creates a striking and memorable card and it is also low cost to reproduce.



Although the colour hasn't shown up very clearly on this photograph, I really liked the choice of stock here in particular. It is a pale pink which I think could work quite well for my own branding. They have obviously tried to print it out as easily as possible and have provided all of the information on the front of the card rather than using the space on the back as well. This is a shame, as I think the logo would work well on its own. 

Once again, here the designer has used black ink and so this is low cost to reproduce and therefore very cost effective.


I love the attention to detail on this example. The stitch along the bottom works so well to represent a fashion designer and I think the logo works well and is quite striking. Once again, everything has been printed on one side which is an even cheaper way of reproducing business cards but would have been more effective had it been double sided. 


I loved the logo on this example. I think the two letters work really well together and I would like to try and create something similar for my own branding. However I am not sure whether it would work as well with my initials. This is something I will have to experiment with. 


I like how the information on the back is centred and how she has used the space on both the front and the back to encourage the recipient to interact with the business card. 


I think overall, this design is my favourite. I love the typeface she has used and think it works well in uppercase. I would love to experiment with the idea of making my surname bold to highlight the part of my name which makes me, me. As Laura is quite a commonly used name. 



Below I have taken some photographs of some primary research which I was given from LGP Print in Leeds. They are a couple of their samples of print jobs they have produced in the past. I would like to apply the same principle to my work and create a folder for all of my collateral to go inside of. The simpler the better, as I would like all of my branding to be very clear and concise.





Here is a photograph of all of the samples I collected from LCA on the day of the end of year exhibition. There were quite a lot which I did like and others which were quite poorly designed and rushed. 


I remember this logo design from the day I visited the exhibition. I really liked it at the time and quite like it still now. I am going to experiment with applying the same principle to my own name to see if it works. 


No comments:

Post a Comment