Monday 20 October 2014

OUGD602 - PPP3: DR.ME Workshop

Today DR.ME came in to visit us and carry out a one day brief with us. They started the day by introducing themselves in an informal briefing and showing us a presentation with examples of their work. Having visited their website before today to have a look at the work they produce, I already had a rough idea of what they do. A lot of their work is based on music and they design album artwork for various different clients as well as promotional posters.

Although this isn't particularly the area of graphic design I would like to pursue, I found it interesting listening to their background story and how they have reached the stage they are at today. It definitely gave me the confidence to believe that one day I could set up my own business, but at the same time it made me appreciate how invaluable studio work experience really is, and I think it can make a huge impact on quality of work and being able to understand the client's needs. The more experience the better. 

Today just confirmed to me that I certainly want to work in the graphic design industry within studios or large firms (perhaps packaging within the food industry) to gain as much experience before even attempting to set up on my own. I also found it extremely interesting how different studios present themselves in completely different ways, some are very casual and informal, whilst some are quite formal and professional. I think it is important to get the balance right, and in the future when I become well established in my field of interest, I would like people to perceive me as being professional yet approachable. 

Overall, this exercise definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone and I enjoyed working in a pair with someone I wouldn't usually work with. I think that although we may have taken slightly longer with the vinyl artwork and poster, we definitely felt as though we had achieved a lot at the end of the day and put a lot of thought into the concept of the designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment